Print Tips« Back to Ideas Collection
More Print Tips
- • Maximum Impact: Is it Best to Send a Postcard or a Letter?
- • Drive Rapid Response to Your Direct Mail: 10 Pro Tips
- • The Usefulness and Utility of Print Marketing
- • Boost Sales with Brochures
- • 5 Opacity Tips You Should Know
- • The Window to Marketing
- • Profitable Postcard Marketing: Finding the Right Frequency
- • 3 Fundamentals for Nailing Your Direct Mail Marketing
- • Picking the Perfect Paper
6 Rock-Solid Strategies to Improve Your Next Direct Mail Campaign
There are loads of good reasons to add direct mail as an arrow in your marketing quiver. But in this digital era, many marketing professionals have no idea how to conduct a successful direct mail marketing campaign.
Want to get back in the game and increase your success? The more you embrace a “direct-mail” mindset, the better your response rates will be.
6 Fundamental Principles to Include in Every Message You Send
1. Write in a direct-mail style.
Direct-response copy is usually significantly longer than branding copy. Instead of emphasizing pretty design and clever copy, it depends on salient sales arguments backed by extensive proof and facts.
2. Seek responses first.
The primary objective is not to build your brand or entertain, but to get more inquiries, leads, and sales. Look to add a compelling hook or a clear next step in everything you print. Place at least two calls to action somewhere in the design.
3. Put the offer front and center.
The pitch you make should never be an afterthought, but something carefully worded and prominently featured on the page.
4. Include freebies, special discount offers, or guarantees.
Without these components, direct-mail response rates are usually lower.
5. Have a back end.
The real money in direct response is made through the sales of additional products to customers who made an initial purchase. Without a back end in place, you are leaving money on the table.
6. Test everything.
Brand advertisers who roll out massive campaigns without meaningful, real-world testing risk failing big and losing a lot of money. Beyond polling focus groups or launching an A/B poll, you can also “test small” with live promotions where people vote with their credit cards (instead of with their opinions!). This is a more accurate indicator of whether your offer will work.
The Numbers Don’t Lie
On average, U.S. advertisers that spend $167 per customer on direct mail annually sell $2,095 worth of goods per buyer. And the margins increase when you target people who have already demonstrated they will buy a product online or from a previous coupon you’ve printed.
Ready to get started with your next direct mail campaign? We’ve got answers to all your questions. Reach out to us today!
by Robert W. Bly
In our digital world, it’s easy to overlook the power of a snail mail marketing piece. But think again because when you could earn as much as a 1,300% ROI, why would you not want to generate more leads, orders, and sales with the power of direct mail? It’s time to transform your marketing. It’s time for The Direct Mail Revolution. In this book, legendary copywriting pioneer and marketing expert Robert W. Bly shares his groundbreaking strategies for winning customers and earning profits with direct mail. Dive in and learn how to:
- Create a comprehensive direct mail marketing strategy
- Design marketing materials that connect with your target customers
- Craft letters, brochures, and postcards that stand out
- Seamlessly integrate direct mail with your digital marketing strategy
- Avoid the most common snail mail mistakes that will get ignored
Plus, you’ll receive Bly’s very own templates, samples, and checklists to ensure your direct mail materials earn you the highest ROI possible.